Kirkland, Washington Not your city or county?

Common Questions

Questions About Notices

Questions About Current Licenses

Questions About Lost and Found Animals

Questions About Pet Licensing

Questions About PetData


Why did I receive this notice?

Please choose the option that best describes the notice you received:


Why am I being billed when I have a current license?

There may be several reasons why you received a bill when you have a current license. We're happy to help with your account information - please fill out this form to begin the process.


When will I get my license tag?

The metal license tag issued by the City of Kirkland is permanently assigned to your pet. In 2018, all pet owners licensing their pet will automatically receive a new metal tag from the City of Kirkland. King County license tags are valid through the date of license expiration, and will be replaced automatically with a City of Kirkland license tag upon the first renewal with Kirkland. When you receive your new tag, please remove the King County license tag from your pet’s collar and dispose.

When renewing the City of Kirkland license in subsequent years, you will not receive a new tag during the renewal process unless requested. If you have lost your tag or it has become unreadable, please pay the replacement tag fee of $5.00 when you mail your renewal, and a new tag will be mailed with your license registration. Otherwise, a receipt only will be mailed.

We will mail your tag and/or license receipt within 10 business days from the day we receive your completed license application and payment. Please allow an additional 3-5 business days to receive your tag or receipt in the mail. If we have not received correct payment or proper documentation you will be notified via mail and the processing of your license will be delayed.


How do I get a replacement tag?

You may obtain a replacement tag by sending a check or money order payable to “City of Kirkland" in the amount of $5.00 to the mailing address below. Please do not send cash. You may include either a copy of your prior license receipt or a note to designate the pet for which you are purchasing a replacement tag. If you need assistance, you may call customer service toll-free at 1-855-585-8158.

If you are renewing your pet's license, please indicate that a replacement tag is needed on the renewal form and include the replacement tag fee.

Kirkland Animal Licensing
c/o PetData
PO Box 141929
Irving, TX 75014-1929

Only one license tag can be active at one time. Requests for multiple tags for the same animal cannot be fulfilled.


Can I transfer a license?

A transfer license may be purchased for $5.00. Licenses may be transferred:

  1. From one owner to another owner for the same pet. Please submit proof of current license, prior owner information and signature and new owner information and signature, along with a check or money order for $5.00.
  2. From another city or county. Please submit proof of current license along with new City of Kirkland address, and a check or money order for $5.00. Transferred licenses shall maintain the original license's expiration date.

Please make check or money order payable to “City of Kirkland” and mail to:

Kirkland Animal Licensing
c/o PetData
PO Box 141929
Irving, TX 75014-1929


Can I obtain a refund?

A refund may be available for the following reasons:

  1. If a duplicate payment was made for the same pet and the same license term. Be sure to include the pet’s current license tag number if it is available, and as much information as possible regarding your payments.
  2. If a previously spayed or neutered pet was licensed at the unaltered rate. Be sure to include proof of alteration dated prior to the licensing date.
  3. If the pet owner lived outside the City of Kirkland limits at the time of licensing.

Refunds are not available for unused time, or if the animal is altered during the licensing period purchased at the higher rate.

To request a refund, please send your request in writing or via email to Customer Service.


How long is this license valid?

Licenses are valid for 1 or 2 years based on the license term purchased.


Where is the local animal shelter?

The animal shelter for the City of Kirkland is located at the following address:

Everett Animal Shelter
333 Smith Island Road
Everett, WA 98201

To report stray animals or for questions unrelated to licensing, please call Kirkland Animal Services at 425-577-5656.


I have found a pet: what should I do?

If the pet that you have found is wearing a Kirkland license tag, please call our office at 1-855-585-8158 for assistance. Found pets may also be reported directly to the city’s Animal Control Officer by calling 425-577-5656.


I have lost a pet: what should I do?

If our Animal Control Officer finds your pet, and your pet is wearing a current license tag on its collar, Animal Control will contact you. If another citizen finds your pet with its license tag, they may call the phone number on the license tag and the Animal Control Officer will contact you and facilitate reuniting you with your pet.

Sheltering of strays for the City of Kirkland is provided by the Everett Animal Shelter (EAS). EAS staff will contact owners of animals wearing traceable identification. If your pet has been lost, the City of Kirkland recommends that you visit the Everett Animal Shelter’s “Lost and Found Pets” web page at to report and/or look for your pet. All Lost Pet Reports that are submitted will be printed and placed in our Lost Pet Book at the shelter. We recommend you check this website every day. Pet owners may also visit the shelter and look through the “Strays in the Shelter book” and look through the “Found Pets not at the shelter book.” The Everett Animal Shelter holds stray animals for 72 hours to allow owners a chance to find their lost pets. You may also contact Animal Control at 425-577-5656 regarding your pet.


Why should I license?

Licensing helps Animal Control identify family pets, should an animal become lost. The fees from licensing are used to reunite people with their pets, care for animals, and investigate complaints about stray animals, among other services. Other goals of animal licensing are to promote responsible pet ownership and to reduce the tragedies associated with lost pets and pet overpopulation.


What are the licensing requirements?

Licensing Ordinance

All dogs and cats 12 weeks of age and older in the City of Kirkland, Washington must be licensed with the City.

View the complete Kirkland Municipal Code

Due Date

Payment for your license is due upon expiration of your current license. King County license tags are valid through the date of license expiration, and will be replaced automatically with a City of Kirkland license tag upon the first renewal with Kirkland. Once you receive your pet's Kirkland tag, please remove and dispose of the King County license tag.

A late fee is added to the license fee if your license is not purchased within 45 days of the license expiration date and increases at 90 days and 135 days.

License Term

Licenses are valid for 1 or 2 years based on the license term purchased.


Why was licensing privatized?

The City chose to privatize animal licensing beginning in 2018 to promote animal licensing, to increase the cost-effectiveness of the program, and to provide additional services to its citizens.


Who is PetData?

PetData, Inc., headquartered in Dallas, Texas, provides animal licensing services for municipalities and animal welfare agencies throughout the United States. The company, a member of the National Animal Control Association, has been in business since 1994. PetData’s goals are to increase animal licensing, to reduce animal euthanasia, to educate the community, and to help solve animal control problems.

Does PetData sell information?

We at PetData consider the privacy of our clients to be of paramount importance. PetData has never sold information or data to any third-party. PetData does not use any personally identifiable data collected for any purpose other than for those purposes as required by client contracts.

We do not respond to requests for information from non-client individuals or corporations, nor do we release information without the express written consent of our clients. PetData does not and will not share or sell client data with any other parties or make client data publicly available unless authorized by the client or required under a legal subpoena. All data belongs to our clients, and PetData serves only as a custodian for client-owned data.

Because we release data only to our contracted client, groups or individuals requesting licensing data should contact the Kirkland City Clerk’s Office at 425-587-3190 or [email protected]. You may also visit the City’s Public Records Request Overview website for more information.

Zip Search

Enter your zip code to get started.