San Luis Obispo County, California Not your city or county?

Common Questions

Questions About Notices

Questions About Current Licenses

Questions About Lost and Found Animals

Questions About Pet Licensing

Questions About PetData


Why did I receive this notice?

Please choose the option that best describes the notice you received:


Why am I being billed when I have a current license?

There may be several reasons why you received a bill when you have a current license. We're happy to help with your account information - please fill out this form to begin the process.


When will I get my license tag?

If you renewed a prior license and did not request a replacement tag,  you will not receive a return mailing or new tag. The metal license tag is permanently assigned to your pet, and your cancelled check is your receipt for your license.

If this is the first application for this pet or you requested a replacement tag with your renewal, we will mail your tag within 10 business days from the day we receive your completed license application and payment. Please allow an additional 3-5 business days to receive your tag in the mail. If we have not received correct payment or required documentation, you will be notified via mail and the processing of your license will be delayed.

How do I get a replacement tag?

You may obtain a replacement tag by sending a check or money order in the amount of $5.00 payable to "San Luis Obispo County Animal Services" to the mailing address below. Please include your pet’s name and license tag number to designate the pet for which you are purchasing a replacement tag.

San Luis Obispo County
PO Box 3560
San Luis Obispo, CA 93403


Can I transfer a license?

A current license may be transferred to the new owner of a currently licensed pet. Please mail your request of ownership change and a check or money order for $20.00 payable to "San Luis Obispo County" to:

San Luis Obispo County Animal Services
PO Box 3560
San Luis Obispo, CA 93403


Can I obtain a refund?

A refund may be available if a duplicate payment was made for your license. To request a refund, please send your request in writing or via email to Customer Service. Be sure to include the pet’s current license tag number if it is available, and as much information as possible regarding your payments and where the payments were made.


How long is this license valid?

Your license will be valid for 1 or 3 years from the purchase date, or until the rabies vaccine expiration date, whichever is earlier. Licenses are not valid beyond the expiration of the vaccination.


Where is the local animal shelter?

Animal Services
885 Oklahoma Ave
San Luis Obispo, CA

If you have a question regarding animal control which is not related to licensing your pet, please call 805-781-4400.


I have found a pet: what should I do?

If the pet that you have found is wearing a San Luis Obispo County license tag, please enter the tag number in the tag search box above. If you need assistance, you may call our office toll-free at 1-866-306-7105.


I have lost a pet: what should I do?

If an Animal Control Officer finds your pet, and your pet is wearing a current license tag on its collar, Animal Services will try to contact you. If another citizen finds your pet with its license tag, they may use the tag number to contact you through our online tag search or by calling the phone number on the license tag.

If your pet has been lost, Animal Services recommends that you visit the shelter to look for your pet.


Why should I license?

The primary reason is to prevent the spreading of rabies. Rabies is a constant health threat, and rabies vaccinations are good for your pet’s health. Did you know that rabies is 100% fatal for humans if not treated properly? Animal licensing helps Animal Services monitor compliance with local and state rabies vaccination laws. 

Licensing also helps Animal Services identify family pets, should an animal become lost.  The fees from licensing are used to care for animals and investigate complaints about stray animals, among other services.  Other goals of animal licensing are to promote responsible pet ownership and to reduce the tragedies associated with lost pets and pet overpopulation.


What are the licensing requirements?

Licensing Ordinance

All dogs 4 months of age and older in San Luis Obispo County must be vaccinated for rabies and licensed with the county. Dogs new to the county or undergoing a change of ownership must be licensed within 30 days.

View the complete San Luis Obispo County ordinance

Due Date

Payment for your license is due within 30 days of your pet’s vaccination date or prior license expiration date.

By ordinance, a late fee of $20.00 is added to each license not purchased within 30 days of the expiration of the prior license.

License Term

Your license will be valid for 1 or 3 years from the purchase date, or until the rabies vaccine expiration date, whichever is earlier. Licenses are not valid beyond the expiration of the vaccination.


Why was licensing privatized?

San Luis Obispo County chose to privatize animal licensing in 2006 to promote animal licensing, to increase the cost-effectiveness of the program, and to provide additional services to its citizens. Fees from animal licensing continue to be deposited directly to the county and benefit the animals in their care.

Who is PetData?

PetData, Inc., headquartered in Dallas, Texas, provides animal licensing services for municipalities and animal welfare agencies throughout the United States. The company, a member of the National Animal Control Association, has been in business since 1993. PetData’s goals are to increase animal licensing, to reduce animal euthanasia, to educate the community, and to help solve animal control problems.

Does PetData sell information?

We at PetData consider the privacy of our clients to be of paramount importance. PetData has never sold information or data to any third-party. PetData does not use any personally identifiable data collected for any purpose other than those as determined by client contracts.

We do not respond to requests for information from non-client individuals or corporations, nor do we release information without the express written consent of our client agencies. Groups or individuals requesting licensing data should contact the individual client's animal services agency director as we release data only to our contracted client.

Zip Search

Enter your zip code to get started.