Torrance, California Not your city or county?

Common Questions

Questions About Notices

Questions About Current Licenses

Questions About Lost and Found Animals

Questions About Pet Licensing

Questions About PetData


Why did I receive this notice?

Please choose the option that best describes the notice you received:


Why am I being billed when I have a current license?

There may be several reasons why you received a bill when you have a current license. We're happy to help with your account information - please fill out this form to begin the process.


When will I get my license tag?

The metal license tag is permanently assigned to your pet, and you will not receive a new tag during the renewal process unless requested. If you have lost your tag or it has become unreadable, please pay the replacement tag fee when you mail your renewal, and a new tag will be mailed with your license registration. Otherwise, a receipt only will be mailed.

We will mail your tag or license receipt within 10 business days from the day we receive your completed license application and payment. Please allow an additional 3-5 business days to receive your tag or receipt in the mail. If we have not received correct payment or proper documentation you will be notified via mail and the processing of your license will be delayed.


How do I get a replacement tag?

You may obtain a replacement tag by sending a check or money order payable to "City of Torrance" in the amount of $5.00 to the mailing address below. Please do not send cash. Please include a copy of your license receipt or a note to designate the pet for which you are purchasing a replacement tag. If you need assistance, you may call customer service at 1-877-225-7731.

If you are renewing your pet's license, please indicate that a replacement tag is needed on the renewal form and include the replacement tag fee.

Torrance Animal Licensing
C/O PetData
PO Box 141929
Irving, TX 75014-1929

Only one license tag can be active at one time. Requests for multiple tags for the same animal cannot be fulfilled.


Can I transfer a license?

Currently, a tag cannot be transferred in the City of Torrance. If you have recently moved into the City or have recently adopted a pet, please apply for a new license.

Can I obtain a refund?

A refund may be available only if you have made payment twice for the same licensing term. For further information, please email Customer Service or call 1-877-225-7731.

How long is this license valid?

Licenses will be valid for one year from the date of purchase, and must be renewed annually.

Where is the local animal shelter?

Animal sheltering for the City of Torrance is provided by the LA County shelter located at:

216 W. Victoria St.
Gardena, CA

To report stray animals or for questions unrelated to licensing, please call the Animal Control office at 310-618-3850.


I have found a pet: what should I do?

If the pet is wearing a Torrance license tag, please enter the tag number in the tag search box above. If you need assistance, you may call our office toll-free at 1-877-225-7731.

I have lost a pet: what should I do?

If your pet has been lost, please go in person to the LA County/Carson animal shelter, located at 216 W. Victoria Street in Gardena to look for your pet. If an Animal Control Officer finds your pet, and your pet is wearing a current license tag on its collar, Animal Services will contact you. If another citizen finds your pet with its license tag, they may use the tag number to contact you through our online search or by calling the Animal Control office.



Why should I license?

The primary reason is to prevent the spreading of rabies. Rabies is a constant health threat, and rabies vaccinations are good for your pet’s health. Did you know that rabies is 100% fatal for humans if not treated properly? Animal licensing helps the City of Torrance monitor compliance with local and state rabies vaccination laws.

Licensing also helps Animal Services identify family pets, should an animal become lost. The fees from licensing are used to care for animals and investigate complaints about stray animals, among other services. Other goals of animal licensing are to promote responsible pet ownership and to reduce the tragedies associated with lost pets and pet overpopulation.


What are the licensing requirements?

Licensing Ordinance

All dogs must be vaccinated against rabies and licensed with the City of Torrance by the age of four months or within 30 days of acquiring the pet. Cat licensing is available on a voluntary basis.

View the complete City of Torrance ordinance

Due Date

Payment for your license is due by the expiration of your current license. If you are licensing for the first time, you must purchase a license when the pet reaches 4 months of age, within 30 days of acquiring the dog or within 30 days of moving into the City of Torrance.

A late fee of $20 is charged if your pet's license has expired.


License Term

Licenses will be valid for one year from the date of purchase, and must be renewed annually.

Why was licensing privatized?

The City of Torrance chose to privatize animal licensing in 2004 when it began providing its own animal control services. PetData will assist Torrance in promoting animal licensing in the City and will work closely with the Torrance Animal Control program.

Who is PetData?

PetData, Inc., headquartered in Dallas, Texas, provides animal licensing services for municipalities and animal welfare agencies throughout the United States. The company, a member of the National Animal Control Association, has been in business since 1993. PetData’s goals are to increase animal licensing, to reduce animal euthanasia, to educate the community, and to help solve animal control problems.

Does PetData sell information?

We at PetData consider the privacy of our clients to be of paramount importance. PetData has never sold information or data to any third-party. PetData does not use any personally identifiable data collected for any purpose other than those as determined by client contracts.

We do not respond to requests for information from non-client individuals or corporations, nor do we release information without the express written consent of our client agencies. Groups or individuals requesting licensing data should contact the individual client's animal services agency director as we release data only to our contracted client.

Zip Search

Enter your zip code to get started.