- Call Customer Service:
All dogs 4 months of age and older must be licensed with the City within 30 days of being in the city or upon the dog turning 4 months of age.
View the complete City of Clearlake ordinance
Instructions to License Online
Ready to purchase your license? If you would like to license online, a convenience fee of $2.00 will apply for each transaction. Any required documents, such as your dog’s rabies vaccination certificate, may be scanned and uploaded or submitted later by fax, mail or email. The license will be issued after all required documents are received.
If you prefer to pay by another method, click here to view your other payment options.
- A current rabies vaccination certificate is required if the rabies vaccination on file has expired. Please check your certificate for correct address and dog information.
- Proof of spay/neuter, such as a signed statement from a veterinarian or an invoice for services is required if the pet has been altered since the last licensing period. All dogs require proof of spay or neuter unless an exemption has been obtained.
- Proof of age is required to receive the discounted fees for senior citizens age 60 and over.
- Proof of veteran status is required to receive the discounted fees for a veteran.
- Documentation for an exemption is required to license an unaltered dog.
Your paperwork will not be returned to you, so please retain a copy of your documents for your records.
Exemptions For An Unaltered Dog
All dogs are required to be spayed or neutered, and may not be licensed as an unaltered dog without an exemption. Below is a list of exemptions.
- Health Exemption: Dogs certified by a licensed veterinarian as unable to be spayed or neutered due to health reasons.
- Law Enforcement Dog Exemption: Trained and working law enforcement dogs, or designated as breeding stock by an agency or organization approved by Animal Control.
- Service Dog Exemption: Trained and working service dogs or such dogs designated as breeding stock by an agency or organization approved by Animal Control.
- Competition Dog Exemption: Dogs registered with the AKC or other recognized registry, or trained for the purpose of show, field trials, or agility trials.
- Search and Rescue Dog Exemption: Trained and working search and rescue dogs.
- Livestock Dog Exemption: Trained and working herding, hunting, or livestock guardian dogs, or such dogs designated as breeding stock by an agency or organization approved by Animal Control.
|Standard License Fees||1-Year|
|Unaltered Exempt Dog||$35.00|
|Senior 60+ or Veteran/Unaltered Dog||$30.00|
|Senior 60+ or Veteran/Altered Dog||$25.00|
Initial licenses will be valid for 12 months from the date of purchase, and the rabies vaccination must be current as of the date of purchase. Renewal licenses will start from the expiration of the prior license.
The cost for licensing unaltered or fertile pets is higher than for licensing spayed or neutered pets in order to promote sterilization and to reduce pet overpopulation.
|Download License Application (PDF format)|
*To use as an electronic fillable form, open in Adobe Reader.
Payment for your license is due within 30 days of the expiration of your current license. If you are licensing for the first time, you must purchase a license within 30 days of obtaining a dog over the age of 4 months or within 30 days of moving into the City.